OK. Don't hate me....but, I'm actually enjoying this book.
First of all, I've decided to write the Coelho blogs in English because the book is in English...Hmmm. Hopefully some of you are on the same page.
Anyway, this book doesn't seem to be so bad. Perhaps I have not honed my critiquing skills enough, but I am actually being entertained. It is an easy, fast read that is interesting and different from many books that I have read, and thus, my interest level is high.
I have noticed, however, the cheesy way in which Coelho has presented situations that encourage the readers to relate "the boy's" situations to those in their own lives. It seems rather facile in the way that he presents these ideas....for example. It is as though he is desperately trying to create seemingly day to day situations that the shepherd boy would find himself in and then make the reader think that there is some deeper LIFE meaning to them that apply to everyone who will then read the book and learn from them. Although this is "cheesy, " I don't necessarily think it is bad...
While The Alchemist may not be considered "high-brow" by literary elites, it is still a fun and interesting (easy) read. So yah...it appeals to the masses. It's POPULAR, in both senses of the word. I'm not sure if this makes it bad though...What do you all have to say?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i hate you.
ja ja. no, estoy de acuerdo de que el libro tiene algo importante a ofrecer a los lectores. algunas lecciones que ensena son utiles -aun si son sencillas- y me gusta leer un libro que me recuerda de estas cosas de vez en cuando (por ejemplo, siguiendo lo que quieres, confiandose en si mismo, viviendo en el presente, siendo positivo, etc.)
PERO como dices que Coelho presenta estas lecciones en una manera 'cheesy', !es muy cierto! y me molesta un poco porque me siento que el autor 'is spoon-feeding me' y no me gusta eso; parece un poco condescendiente. y por eso, comprendo porque lectores como tu y yo y los estudiantes de nuestra clase no gozarian de leer este libro como "las masas". es dificil definir este libro como 'bueno' o 'malo'. es lo que es. como literatura compleja y atrayente al lector avanzado, es malo, pero como libro util que inspira confianza (en unos lectores), es bueno. depende como se lo clasifica.
p.s. i don't hate you.
I agree with you. I totally loved the book!! It kept me motivated and I wanted to read more and more to see what had happened to Santiago. It's just so easy to read and Coelho knows how to encourage the reader and what strings to pull.
Post a Comment